Living Justice and Peace (2008)
Catholic Social Teaching in Practice, Second Edition
Edited by Christine Schmertz Navarro
"The Subcommittee on the Catechism, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, has found this catechetical text, copyright 2008, to be in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church."
The second edition of this text has the same sound theology with updated stories, images, and statistics! The Living Justice and Peace course empowers students to examine society critically, based on values from the Scriptures and on the seven themes of Catholic social teaching. The text addresses specific topics, including abortion, capital punishment, racism, poverty, the environment, and peace.
What's new in the second edition:
- Chapter 2: Removed story about malformed frogs. Updated list of "Major Documents of Catholic Social Teaching." Added story about endangered sea turtles.
- Chapter 4: Updated statistics about pregnancy, abortion, and capital punishment.
- Chapter 5: Removed opening story about religious discrimination in Montana, replaced with opening story about "Mix It Up at Lunch Day" in an Albuquerque high school. Mention of immigration and prejudice against Muslims.
- Chapter 6: Included more recent material about Craig Kiehlburger's Free the Children organization. Updated statistics about child labor internationally.
- Chapter 7: Many updated statistics about poverty and related issues in the U.S. and internationally.
- Chapter 8: Removed sidebar of "Lifestyles: Comparing Poverty, Simplicity, and Excess." Updated statistics. New sidebar about the UN Millennium Development Goals.
- Chapter 9: Removed opening story about the young president of the Sierra Club, old information about environmental threats, and inspiring story of Chico Mendes. Added new opening story about two teen girls who alert others about the health of salmon in their community. Updated content about environmental threats with information from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (2007). Added inspiring story of Sr. Dorothy Stang. Provided new examples of businesses, governments, and teens making positive changes.
- Chapter 10: Some nuclear arms race content removed, as well as sidebar called "A general rethinks nuclear weapons." Updated research about the causes of youth violence. Terrorism content added, as well as sidebar called "Responding to Terrorism." New stories about innovative ways to curb violence.
Publisher: Saint Mary's Press
Copyright: Feb. 1, 2008
Size: 8.5 x 10.5
Length: 336 pages