September 11: Bring Peace to the World and Honor Heroes
About this articleAs we remember the attacks of September 11, 2001, we remember that our world is both troubled and filled with heroes. We offer the following suggestions to bring peace to the world and to honor heroes. . . .
As we remember the attacks of September 11, 2001, we remember that our world is both troubled and filled with heroes. We offer the following suggestions to bring peace to the world and to honor heroes.
Suggestions for the individual
- Pray a rosary for peace
- Is there someone at school that often spends time alone? Go talk with him or her at lunch or at a break.
- Find out about local issues. Is there a conflict between groups? Is there inequity in your community? Are there ways you can help?
- Are there unrecognized "heroes" in your community? Send a card to a fire fighter, police officer, principal, or teacher whose dedication goes unnoticed.
- Are there young men and women from your community in the armed services? Find out from their parents what they are interested in and send a personalized care package.
Suggestions for groups
- Sponsor a dinner for local fire fighters and police officers to thank them for their service.
- Invite other churches to a prayer service for peace and guidance to our government in responding to terror.
- Organize a visit to a mosque in hopes of understanding Islam better.
- Organize a march for peace.
- Sponsor a craft fair with the proceeds going to your local emergency management fund.
Published August 16, 2002.