Curriculum Integration in Service Programs
About this articleHow can you integrate curriculum from many different content areas into the service program at your school? Here are some guiding principles from a school that has worked in this direction for over ten years!
How can you begin working toward curriculum integration with your service program? Consider the following principles as a good guide.Connections
- Get to know the curriculum in other content areas.
- Study the program of studies of your school.
- Look at textbooks and materials from other departments.
- Read educational journals.
- Discuss curriculum with your colleagues.
- Show your interest in what others are teaching.
- Ask students to make connections with other classes.
- Ask a teacher to partner or team with you on an assignment.
- Invite another department to meet with yours to look for ways to collaborate.
- Don't give up! Keep asking and inviting!
- Be enthusiastic!
- Know that it takes time.
- Try something on your own that is interdisciplinary.
- Get students involved in designing projects.
- Share your successes with other departments and the administration.
- Try new things.
- Look for more effective ways to integrate.
- Include students in the evaluation process.
Published April 20, 2001.