Teaching Manual for Living Justice and Peace, Second Edition
Catholic Social Teaching in Practice
The second edition of Living Justice and Peace has the same clear theology with updated statistics and current events! The Living Justice and Peace course empowers students to examine society critically based on values from the Scriptures and on the seven themes of Catholic social teaching. The text addresses specific topics such as abortion, capital punishment, racism, poverty, the environment, and peace.
The teaching manual fully supports the student text and includes prayers, prayer services, review questions and answers, student activities, discussion questions, role-play situations, suggestions for interviews and guest speakers, student handouts, and much more.
What's new in the second edition:
- Chapter 2: Removed story about malformed frogs. Updated list of "Major Documents of Catholic Social Teaching." Added story about endangered sea turtles.
- Chapter 4: Updated statistics about pregnancy, abortion, and capital punishment.
- Chapter 5: Removed opening story about religious discrimination in Montana, replaced with opening story about "Mix It Up at Lunch Day" in an Albuquerque high school. Mention of immigration and prejudice against Muslims.
- Chapter 6: Included more recent material about Craig Kiehlburger's Free the Children organization. Updated statistics about child labor internationally.
- Chapter 7: Many updated statistics about poverty and related issues in the U.S. and internationally.
- Chapter 8: Removed sidebar of "Lifestyles: Comparing Poverty, Simplicity, and Excess." Updated statistics. New sidebar about the UN Millennium Development Goals.
- Chapter 9: Removed opening story about the young president of the Sierra Club, old information about environmental threats, and inspiring story of Chico Mendes. Added new opening story about two teen girls who alert others about the health of salmon in their community. Updated content about environmental threats with information from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (2007). Added inspiring story of Sr. Dorothy Stang. Provide new examples of businesses, governments, and teens making positive change.
- Chapter 10: Some nuclear arms race content removed as well as sidebar called "A general rethinks nuclear weapons." Updated research about the causes of youth violence. Terrorism content added as well as sidebar called "Responding to Terrorism." New stories about innovative ways to curb violence.
To ensure our Teacher Guides are used to assist teachers, and do not become a resource for the students, it is Saint Mary’s Press’ policy to only ship this Teacher Guide to a school. If you would like a copy shipped to a location other than a school, or would like to receive a review copy, please contact our customer care department.
Copyright: Feb. 1, 2008
Size: 8.5 x 11
Length: 296 pages