The Bible: The Living Word of God provides an introduction to the Sacred Scriptures and to the unfolding of salvation history, with a particular focus on Jesus Christ as the fulfillment of salvation history. Revelation, both divine and natural, is explored, as are inspiration, interpretation, and exegesis.
The course guides the students in coming to know the people of salvation history, including the early leaders of Israel; the judges, kings, and the prophets; and the history of salvation as revealed in the New Testament. The students also learn about the role of the Scriptures in the life of faith for the individual as well as for the life of the Church.
In addition to the complete text of the print book, the iBook Edition, and the enhanced interactive e-Books, add the following features:
- In-text links to official, online versions of Scripture, the Catechism, and Church documents so that students can study quotes from the text in their original context.
- In-text links to online biographies of all the saints mentioned in the student text.
- Photo galleries that explore topics in the text.
- Presentations that review key concepts.
- Self-correcting quizzes that assess the student’s mastery of the content in each part of the text.
- Links to online videos that explore people or concepts in greater depth.
The Living in Christ Series
- Makes the most of the wisdom and experience of Catholic high school teachers as they empower and guide students to participate in their own learning.
- Engages students' intellect and responds to their natural desire to know God.
- Encourages faith in action through carefully crafted learning objectives, lessons, activities, active learning, and summative projects that address multiple learning styles.
What you will find . . .
- Each Living in Christ student book is developed in line with the U.S. Bishops' High School Curriculum Framework and provides key doctrine essential to the course in a clear and accessible way, making it relevant to the students and how they live their lives.
- Each Living in Christ teacher guide carefully crafts the lessons, based on the key principles of Understanding by Design, to guide the students' understanding of key concepts.
- Living in Christ offers an innovative, online learning environment featuring flexible and customizable resources to enrich and empower the teacher to respond to the diverse learning needs of the students.
**This title is in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the USCCB's Curriculum Framework.
Publisher: Saint Mary's Press
Copyright: Feb. 18, 2011
Size: 6 x 9
Length: 264 pages
By Mary Hansel Parlin, Cotter High School religion teacher
"I love the clarity of the student text The Bible: The Living Word of God. On a very basic level, many of my students are ESL (English as a second language) or students with learning needs. The vocabulary is clearly marked by bold, different-colored words in the body of the text as well as in a sidebar with a definition. Even the newest ESL student can learn the vocabulary on her or his own. The glossary section in the back is the perfect starting place for preparing for the final test. The photos and stories of those heroes important to our study of the Bible add interest to the pages and break up the white space surrounding the text. For a ninth-grade-level text, I think the information is challenging but not out of reach for the majority of students. The best part of having the opportunity to look at a sample of The Bible: The Living Word of God is that I now want to read the whole book! Thanks for including me in the preview."
By Patrick Tiernan, Boston College High School
"The Living in Christ curriculum is more than another textbook series. Scholarly without being abstract and engaging without being overbearing, it serves as the ideal intersection of bringing the Good News into any classroom while recognizing that students come from diverse backgrounds with unique learning styles. It reclaims the great biographies in the communion of saints while inviting students to examine their own spiritual formation. This is the perfect intellectual companion for the high school classroom: grounded in the Catechism while challenging students to reflect on their relationship with God in a rational and authentic way. For teachers, it serves as the ideal resource for teaching adolescents in the 21st century by laying the foundation for religious instruction in terms of what is essential to know, but still providing numerous options to build upon! From prayer activities and doctrinal clarifications to the unique charism of Catholicism and the individuals that constitute the Church, Living in Christ stands out as the vanguard for what high school theology should look like. Students will be drawn to the concise format of the books and the sidebar topics, covering everything from key historical events to models of spirituality. I would be amazed if this series does not become the benchmark for other religion textbooks."
By Sr. Katherine Feely, SND, high school educator
"Living in Christ is a remarkable new curriculum designed to meet the faith formation needs of today's students while equipping the teacher with an extensive yet flexible array of ideas, resources, and content.This series is student-centered and attentive to the variety of ways students engage the content of their faith. It lays a strong catechetical foundation, integrating Scripture and Tradition through content development, relevant praxis, and reflection. It is well designed to form disciples for the 21st century. The method, approach, and content engage the head as well as the heart. Living in Christ draws upon the experience and expertise of the teacher and provides every tool necessary to lead students into the learning process, providing an encounter with Christ that will lead them to discover the relevance of living their faith for a lifetime."